Friday, November 10, 2006

Animal Mother: You talk the talk. Do you walk the walk?

In Vietnam The Wind Doesn't Blow: It Sucks


Yeah !! U got it right !! FULL METAL JACKET is the movie that I am talkin about.

One of the most amazing war movies that I have watched till date. Well it so happened that I watched the movie in parts. The first 30 mins got me so interested that I happened to watch it a few times and later when I returned from home after a 2 day vacation I had enough time to finish the movie.
I’ve been aware of two distinct schools of film-making. There are the 'I will narrate the entire thing for you, so you don't have to think' films and the 'this means what ever you think it means' films. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, the latter however when done well has the ability to transform films from mere entertainment to high art.

FMJ definitely goes the second way. A must watch for all those people who love to think differently. Who love to appreciate the reality there is.
Porbably movies are the only way one can watch the world with.


Well I have alway enjoyed watching war movies, no matter what kind they are , be it movies like "Saving Private Ryan" or "Behind Enemy Lines" where there is action and emotion all the way, which can completely change your perspective of this world or there are movies like "Thin Red Line" and "Full Metal Jacket", which has less of action but with a deeper meaning. Both types, have changed the way Ive looked at things. They bring me closer to reality, they make me more practical. Some times it happens that when your are in pain or facing a terribly dark side of life you feel that all the world's a pain and you are the only being being affected. That there is no hope , there is nobody to look around at and you start believing that life sucks big time.
I have been through such situations many times , and why just me , every body goes through such a period some times.

So when I watch these movies, and I look at the amount of struggle one goes through , when you see death in their eyes, when in every moment there could be a fear in the mind of being shot at,
when you hear those cries when one dies, when one gets shot at, ( I would particularly like to remember the scene when "Wade" dies in "Saving Private Ryan" , the way he cries and shivers in pain its so damn moving.)
He probably deserved an Oscar for that. Absolutely moving, his voice sometimes still reverberates in my mind. His shivering voice can make you feel his pain. "Stop that, " is all you would naturally react as though you were going through it.

I then realize that the dark time that you are going through is absolutely nothing. There could be so much pain in life sometimes and consider yourself to be fortunate enough to not to go through such shit.


FMJ was particularly interesting and going through the script once again and reading the review at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_metal_jacket and checking out the quotes at http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Full_Metal_Jacket#taglines was so truly engaging, thats when I decided to write this blog. Thanks to Wikipedia. I always happen to check it out after I watch a movie and specially if its a war movie. Cos the dialogues have a real deep meaning.

There are somethings that I really appreciated about the movie and some people were fabulous.
One was the Drill Instructor Gunnery Sergeant and Gomer Pyle and even Joker. Joker surely resembles New Zealands Spinner Daniel Vettori. I dont know if any of you who watched the movie and knows Daniel Vettori observed this.Here are their pictures.

The first one is of Joker from the movie and the next one is "Daniel Vettori" aren't they lookalikes.














The movie begins with the training of a set of new joiners of US Marines.
The training is depicted as designed to eliminate the recruits' individual personalities and transform them into a team of killers (to "keep Heaven packed with fresh souls"). This first section of the film focuses largely on the physical and psychological mistreatment of overweight recruit Leonard "Gomer Pyle" Lawrence (Vincent D'Onofrio). Fantastically made, the training part is one of the most engaging, check out the abusive dialogues they've used in it,
A salute to the dialogue writer. Awesome invention mate. Not only are they funny , but you could feel the insult and abuse they intend. Here are the few of them which got me awed with "oos and aaahs".


Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: How tall are you, private?
Private Cowboy: Sir, five-foot-nine, sir!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Five-foot-nine?! I didn't know they stacked shit that high. You trying to squeeze an inch in on me somewhere, huh?!
Private Cowboy: Sir, no, sir!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Bullshit! It looks to me like the best part of you slid down the crack of your momma's ass and ended up as a brown stain on the mattress! I think you've been cheated!

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Did your parents have any children that lived?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, yes, sir!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: I'll bet they regret that. You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece! What's your name, fat-body?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, Leonard Lawrence, sir.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Lawrence? Lawrence what? Of Arabia?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, no, sir.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: That name sounds like royalty, are you royalty?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, no, sir.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Do you suck dicks?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, no, sir.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Bullshit, I'll bet you could suck a golfball through a garden hose!
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, no, sir.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: I don't like the name Lawrence, only faggots and sailors are called Lawrence. From now on you're Gomer Pyle.
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, yes, sir.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Do you think I'm cute, Private Pyle? Do you think I'm funny?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, no, sir!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Then wipe that disgusting grin off your face.
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, yes, sir.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Well any fucking time, sweetheart!
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, I'm trying, sir.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Private Pyle I'm gonna give you three seconds; exactly three fucking seconds; to wipe that stupid looking grin off your face or I will gouge out your eyeballs and skull-fuck you! ONE! TWO! THREE!
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, I can't help it, sir!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Bullshit! Get on your knees, scumbag!
Pvt. Pyle drops to his knees. Sgt. Hartman holds out his hand.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Now choke yourself.
Pvt. Pyle puts his own hands around his neck.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Goddamn it, with my hand, numb nuts.
Pvt. Pyle reaches towards Sgt. Hartman's hand.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Don't pull my fucking hand over there! I said choke yourself; now lean forward and choke yourself.
Pvt. Pyle leans forward onto Sgt. Hartman's hand.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: (choking Pyle) Are you through grinning?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, yes, sir.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Bullshit, I can't hear you.
Private Gomer Pyle: (louder) Sir, yes, sir.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Bullshit, I still can't hear you. Sound off like you've got a pair.
Private Gomer Pyle: SIR, YES, SIR!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: That's enough; get on your feet. Private Pyle you had best square your ass away and start shitting me Tiffany cufflinks or I will definitely fuck you up.
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, yes, sir.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Who said that? WHO THE FUCK SAID THAT!? Who's the slimy little communist shit, twinkle-toed cocksucker down here who just signed his own death warrant? Nobody, huh? The fairy fucking godmother said it! Out-fucking-standing. I will PT you all until you fucking DIE! I'll PT you until your assholes are sucking buttermilk!
Gunnery Sgt. Hartman grabs Pvt. Cowboy by the shirt.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Was it you, you scroungy little fuck, huh?
Private Cowboy: Sir, no sir!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: You little piece of shit, you look like a fucking worm, I bet it was you.


Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: When you two pukes are done here, I want you to clean the head.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Did your parents have any children that lived?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, yes, sir.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: I'll bet they regret that. You're so ugly you could be a modern art masterpiece.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Do I make you nervous?
Private Cowboy: Sir?
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: "Sir" what? Were you about to call me an ASSHOLE?

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Private Pyle, Private Joker is your new squad leader, and you WILL bunk with him! He'll teach you everything; he'll teach you how to pee!
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, aye aye, sir!
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Private Joker, he's silly and he's ignorant, but he's got guts and guts is enough. Now you two ladies carry on!
Private Gomer Pyle, Private Joker: Sir, aye aye, sir!

Animal Mother: You a photographer?
Private Joker: I'm a combat correspondent.
Animal Mother: Well you seen much combat?
Private Joker: I've seen a little on TV.
Animal Mother: You're a real comedian.
Private Joker: Well they call me the Joker.
Animal Mother: Well I got a joke for you. I'm gonna tear you a new asshole.
Private Joker: Well pilgrim, only after you eat the peanuts out of my shit.
Animal Mother: You talk the talk. Do you walk the walk?


Here are some memorable images.